As of last Thursday, February 23, 2012, the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) have posted the proposed Meaningful Use(MU) stage two rules at this site.
Some of the highlights for stage two of MU include:
1. There will still be flexibility for physicians with both “core” and “menu” sets in stage two. So there will be available options with the menu measures, while making the core measures obligatory.
- What is “Meaningful Use”?
According to the Office of National Coordinator for Health IT (ONC), Meaningful Use is when you use a certified EHR in order to do the following:
– Improve quality, safety, and efficiency, while helping to reduce health disparities
– Engage patients and families
– Improve care coordination, and population and public health
– Maintain privacy and security of patient health information
Some of the stated goals of meeting Meaningful Use are as follows:
– Better clinical outcomes
– Improved population health outcomes
– Increased transparency and efficiency
– Empowered individuals
– More robust research data on health systems
For more information, visit the ONC’s EHR Incentives & Certification Website